Getting Xen Desktop 2.0 Beta up and running on a VMWare ESX backend.
This is compiled from documentation and forum posts. I’ve put it here to assist anybody and to have a record for myself. I take no credit for this information as it was all in actual documentation or posted by others in the Citrix forums. Here is how I got my test environment up and running.
- Install the Desktop Delivery Controller (DDC) on a physical or virtual server. I used a dedicated virtual machine for this.
- Make sure you add the CDS-TP.lic file to the license manager so you have actual licenses to test with.
- Copy the default certificate from your Virtual Center server to the DDC machine. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\SSL\rui.crt
- On the DDC machine, run mmc and add the Certificates snap-in for the Computer Account.
- Expand Certificates, then Trusted Root Certification Authorities.
- Under Trusted Root Certification Authorities, right-click Certificates and chose Import.
- Browse to the rui.crt file you copied and import it.
- Open the hosts file on the DDC machine, c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, and add the Virtual Center machine’s IP for the hostname “vmware”. If must be vmware as this is the name on the default certificate. If you make a new cert with the FQDN you should be find without this step as long as you import that cert.
- Run the Access Management Console on the DDC machine.
- If you hadn’t done the initial wizard, complete it now.
- Expand Citrix Resources\Desktop Delivery Controller\<Your Farm Name>.
- Righ-click on Desktop Groups and select Create Desktop Group.
- Pick the Assignment type you want.
- Set the Hosting Infrastructure to “VMWare virtualization” and hit Next.
- Enter https://vmware/sdk as the address. If you have a cert for the FQDN, use that instead of vmware. Enter a username and password of an account with the necessary permission in Virtual Center. Hit Next.
- Add the virtual machines to be part of the pool.
- Add the users allow to access the pool.
- Complete the rest of the wizard to match the settings you want.